Thursday, August 21, 2008

Movie Review: "Nancy Drew" (2007)


Yes, I am reviewing an older movie that I saw several weeks ago. I was thinking through the different movies we had seen in the last month or so remembering this one.

"Nancy Drew" (2007) is a family movie based on the popular Nancy Drew books. I've actually never read the Nancy Drew books since mysteries aren't really my preference in movies or books. But our family enjoyed this movie. I had inquired of my Nancy Drew buffs in my brother's house, and they also said it was a nice movie but cautioned me to the single mother and the possibility of explaining that situation to our 10yo dd. Outside of that it was nice and refreshing to see Nancy Drew remain true to her "old-fashioned" ways and not bow to the peer pressures in her new school.

I really enjoyed her new partner, "Corky", played by Josh Flitter. He was also great in "The Greatest Game Ever Played". He is pinchable cute and offers great humor to the movie. I was hopeful she would still remain true to "Ned", played by Max Thieriot, her quiet boy friend from her old hometown. He was more her type although Corky was fun and totally into the mysteries. But could you really see Corky and Nancy Drew together outside of friends?

This movie was family-clean and appropriate minus the single-parenting. It was a nice introduction to our daughter of Nancy Drew. Maybe she will pick up a Nancy Drew book and have a read.

No comments: