Monday, April 26, 2010

Opening Day at the Garden

4/26/2010 - I picked up some more plants last night in search of Poblano Peppers. I didn't find any Poblanos but I did score buy one get one plants at Lowe's. I picked up a couple of Rutger's tomatoes, a six pack of Red Beefsteak tomatoes, a couple of Jalapeno peppers, a couple of Roma tomatoes, and a Patio Cherry tomato plant. I also picked up some herbs like provence lavendar, sweet basil, rosemary, and mint.

I roused my sorry body out of bed and got down to the garden & feed store at 7am this morning. OK, really I am not a farmer and don't get up with the chickens. I am a nocturnal creature. But sometimes we do what we have to. I scrounged around and found Poblano peppers! Yea, me! I also snagged some sage and cilantro. Still no patty pan or baby zucchini. Hmmm....and the garden guy wasn't so optimistic.

I hustled down to the garden and planted tomatoes, jalapenos, poblanos, and some cucumber seeds. The next day or two may be a little cooler, but then it will warm up. This is good for my lettuce!

I still have one whole plot and a half to plant. I also bought a slicing cucumber plant from an area FFA group along with a couple of Cherry Tomato plants.

This evening was our opening event for returning gardeners to the garden. Wow! I didn't realize there were that many. How exciting and encouraging. Good food was shared and it was really nice meeting so many folks.

I still need to plant those and also get in my squash. I haven't decided yet about a regular zucchini. I may have to go with it if I can't find the baby zucchini. I also need to spend time with other gardeners at the community garden planting corn, watermelon and cantaloupe. (Yum!)

I hope to have the time to plan and plant flowers with my daughter within the week. I also need to pick up some long and rectangle planters for my herbs I purchased and get in my patio cherry tomatoes. I have a number of spare small pots I can plant little flowers.

I keep thinking I am about done only to think of more. But I am so thoroughly enjoying all of this!

No comments: