Friday, January 30, 2009

Book Review: "90 Minutes in Heaven" by Don Piper

My latest read I finished yesterday was "90 Minutes in Heaven" by Don Piper. My daughter told me about the book because a friend from Sunday School had told her about it. It sounded like an interesting read. It was an easy and quick read too. The story is about a man, Don Piper, who was in a fatal accident and was dead for 90 minutes. In that 90 minutes he went to heaven and recounts what he saw there. Of the whole book only a small portion is about the 90 minutes in Heaven. The rest of the book is about the accident, his survival, the recovery and his ministry afterward.

While I totally enjoyed his testimony, I was kind of disappointed in the lack of description of what he saw in Heaven. He notes a number of times that he couldn't put into words the magnificence of what he saw - there were no words to describe. But in his description it whet my appetite and yearning for Heaven.

Even in his struggles after he returned to life on earth, I found parts I could relate. Although I hadn't encountered the physical struggles as he had, I understood some of his attitudes - pride, stubbornness, independence, paste a smile on your face despite being miserable, depression, and more. Then there were times where I didn't understand what he went through. I suppose after you have gotten a good taste of Glory, you might be upset too for having to come back.

There is always skepticism around a book of this nature. While I can't be the judge of what he experienced or thought he experienced in Heaven, he still has a testimony of what he went through afterwards. There were lives he was able to touch even through those experiences. I would like to believe that what he experienced was true even based on the different accounts in Revelation from John.

1 comment:

Joyce said...

Mike just read this book and liked it well enough to pass it on to a friend. Apparently the author was interviewed on WILL, but I missed that. Sounds good!