Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Movie Review - "The King's Speech"

The last weekend I rented "The King's Speech" from RedBox with a free coupon (of course) since Netflix would be a long wait. I had seen all the Academy Awards for the movie which usually makes me leery. However, knowing it was a historical type of movie and it had Colin Firth, I was willing to give it a shot.

First off let me warn you that it is rated 'R' mainly for the language. I don't like the bad language but this was an exception because it was part of the story. There was actually purpose behind it. Outside of that, this was a movie that you could watch with your teenagers with warnings.

A movie I would rate as excellent is a movie that encourages me to know more of history or culture, or a movie I can't get out of my head, or a movie I just want more. After watching "The King's Speech" I wanted to know more of the Royal and British history and culture. I watched this 5 days ago and I am still thinking about it. So I would say this was an excellent movie. The casting was impeccable and spot on. Colin Firth as 'Bertie' or 'King George VI', did a superb job. I totally enjoyed Geoffrey Rush as 'Logue'. Helena Bonham Carter and Guy Pearce also supported the lead actors in a subtle amazing way.

It is interesting to me how something like a speech impediment could impact history. Then how a superior royal would come to a commoner with no 'credentials' and overcome a weakness. Further it is interesting to me how the powers behind the monarchy almost advise in a dictatorial way. Some of that I understand and then at one point I was cheering when 'Bertie' insisted and demanded keeping 'Logue' at his disposal.

So if you are looking for a movie that isn't just fluff and garbage, rent "The King's Speech" tonight!

No comments: