Sunday, May 16, 2010

Catching up with the weeds...

5/7/2010 - My daughter and I went to the garden and planted flower seeds for her. She planted Aztec sunflowers, Autumn Mix sunflowers, Jade sunflowers, Vanilla Ice and Strawberry Blonde sunflowers, Cosmos, Zinnias, Shasta and Painted Daisies. She wants to grow flowers for herself, but also for the fair and to sell. These will be nice flowers for making bouquets and selling.

5/13/2010 - This evening was supposed to be a regular work night at the community garden. So I went with intention of doing some of my own work and helping with whatever other tasks needed. There was only a couple of people that showed up but more just to water their own plots and leave. So I spent the time weeding my plots and composting more around my plants.

My daughter's sunflowers are peeping up out of the soil. But I haven't seen sign of cosmos, zinnias or daisies. Wondering if we will need to replant? I will give some more time to see if they will come in another week and after the rains we are expecting.

 I took pictures but I will have to wait until I can download them before posting. My plants are coming right along. Although I still worry that my two new plots may be weak and not as fertile and rich as I would like. I am such a newbie gardener!




***UPDATE***


Finally here are some photos from 5/13/2010:


 From bottom to top: Crookneck Summer Squash (3), Beefsteak Tomato (l), Brandwine Tomato from seed (r), Slicing Cucumber, Beefsteak Tomato (l), Cherry Tomato (r), Pickling Cucumber, Rutgers Tomato (l) and Roma Tomato (r).



Bottom to Top: Romaine Lettuce, Poblano Pepper, Bibb Lettuce, Poblano Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers, Sweet Red and Green Peppers, Okra, Pickling Cucumber, Cherry Tomato, and Rutgers Tomato.





Left to Right: Same as above but from the side.




Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Okra, Peppers, and Lettuces

Sunflower sprouts

No comments: