Saturday, January 17, 2015

My New Friend: Beef BACON!

About 10 years ago I largely stopped eating pork for various reasons. Of course when you stop eating pork, you stop eating bacon.

You stop eating bacon and you die a little on the inside.

OK, maybe not, but you look for alternatives. So we started eating turkey bacon, turkey ham, turkey sausage, and so on. It was fine and we like those things.

Then my dairy farmer friend told me about beef bacon. Hmmm, beef bacon - really? Why had I not found this over 10 years?! She told me when I had beef bacon I would never turn back to turkey bacon. So I gave it a whirl.



This was the only brand I could find locally but I am on the look out for other brands and better prices. This is a bit pricey compared to pork bacon and turkey bacon. It was $4.79 for 12 oz at our local grocery store.

Fried this up and oh my stars! Look at this goodness?!



It was delicious! Now, I had gave up biscuits and gravy because of how lean turkey bacon and sausage is. I very rarely will fall off my pork abstinence and indulge in biscuits and gravy. Now, this girl can go back to biscuits and gravy guilt free! Hallelujah!

We still largely eat turkey products because of the reasonable price but beef bacon is at least available for those times when you need better bacon in your life.

1 comment:

claudia cardoso said...

You got me all excited about this and then I realized that not being in the US means I will more than likely never find this for sale nearby!