Monday, February 23, 2009

Updated my pile of books

My pile of books had dwindled down to two and I needed to replenish the stack. Mind you, I have two bags full of fiction my MIL has dropped off to me, but I needed more. I keep a running list of books that I want to check out in my Amazon wish list and another list on my laptop. These are the books I see referenced somewhere on a blog, a website, news article, or elsewhere that looks like it might be interesting.

So I went armed to my local library with a list of about 15-20 books plus various authors associated with that list. How many books did I actually find in my library?? Oh, only 2! I don't mean they were checked out - I mean the library didn't have them at all! (Time to turn in some book requests!) Now, I live in a quite dominant Christian community and probably at least half of the books were Christian in nature. They weren't even obscure Christian authors unless Max Lucado is considered obscure.

I have truly been spoiled in other communities that have absolutely wonderful and diverse libraries. Our family laments our libraries of past and seeks to improve our poor library system here. We turn in stacks of book requests on a regular basis. Fortunately, they have fulfilled a number of those requests.

Anyway, I was able to snag a stack of other books as I perused the dewey decimals that should have had the books on my list and found some substitutes. I have updated my list to the right and will try to give reviews as I go. I am also making more of an effort to add a biography to the list. There are so many interesting people to read about, I just can't decide - suggestions?

No comments: